Thursday, July 16, 2009

One of those weeks

You know it's going to be one of THOSE weeks....

Claudia has a persistent dry cough, it has been that way since she was sick at the beginning of May. Finally decided to do something about it, so I called the dr on Monday.
Monday
Can I be there in an hour? Sure no problem. Uh-oh. I forgot the car was completely disassembled (back seats flat and no car seats). So I deal with that. Don't ask why it took so long. Then I had to find the vaccination record for Claudia, because she also needed her 2nd chicken pox vaccination before K started. Couldn't find it, and now I'm bordering on being late for her appt. Decide to look one last time in the drawer where it's supposed to be (I'd already looked there TWICE). There it is. Why does that happen to me?

Finally get to the dr and Claudia is NOT happy with me. Dr thinks the dry cough is either allergies or a mild sinus infection. So she gets two medications to take for the next 10 days, antibiotics and zyrtec. Both are chewables, but the antibiotic chewables are HUGE and taste terrible, so I'm told. Then the nurse gives her the vaccination and Claudia nurses it for all it's worth, going around the entire day limping and saying, "Owie. Owie. Owie!"

Yeah.

Then Dan tells me he is going out of town for one night this week for work. Great. Oh yes, and I decide I must finish the book I'm reading, I couldn't put it down! So I stay up Monday night, or rather Tuesday morning, until 1AM

Tuesday, not so bad despite the lack of sleep. The venti mocha from starbucks helped. House was clean for our financial guy to come over and chat with us in the evening.

Wednesday, Dan leaves in the evening after dinner. Means I didn't go to sleep until after 1:30 AM this morning. 2 nights of that this week leaves me feeling really drained. Not good this morning.

Claudia decides to be a drama queen today. Every LITTLE thing is an issue, from taking her antibiotic (which she still blames me for) to my telling her to put on her shoes.

Then while I was trying to get dressed, the kids were playing on the little deck on the side of the house. All of a sudden I hear Duncan screaming, "I gotta go weewee now!!!" So I yell, "Then go!" To which Duncan replies, "I can't! Claudia locked the door."

Sure enough, I had to race downstairs and both sets of doors were locked. She had locked him outside and then she went to the bathroom herself.

ARGH.


But let's add some light-hearted stuff in here and make us laugh. Because you haven't been laughing yet have you? Yeah, I didn't think so....

Duncan has an imagination like no other child I've seen. I'm sure most people would say he is obsessive. Today we were going out to the car, playing a game we play once or twice a week. Spiders in the garage. There are giant spiders in the garage and we must be quiet so that we don't wake them. However every time I open the garage door, they wake up and we have to make a run for it for the car.

I was buckling his seat belt and looking at him. His eyes are all out of focus, as if he is focusing on something far away, while he is telling me about the giant spiders and how they can now eat through the car, so they are going to get us. Rather than be hysterical or with a smile on his face, he is completely serious. Brow furrowed, as if he is trying to figure a way out of this situation. Then he says, in the most disturbing voice I've heard yet, "Aren't they amazing Mommy?"
"What? The giant spiders?"
"Yes. They are awesome, they're going to eat through our car."
"Are they going to get us?"
"Unless you can stop them Mommy. You're the only one."

So what do I do? I do what any superMommy would do and I put a force field around the car.


Who knew the giant spiders could eat through the force field?

So we booked it.

And now I'm wonder if I'm going to have some mad scientist on my hands, trying to grow cool giant spiders who can eat through anything. Probably doesn't help that he has been listening to Claudia's new chapter books. One that I got to read to Claudia, because it sounded cool, was Franny K. Stein, an 8 year old mad scientist. I only purchased the first book, but Duncan wants me to read it to him everyday. In the book, she saves the school and teacher from a nuclear waste monster by creating a dumpster monster from the kids' lunches. Yeah. And this is apparently one of Duncan's new role models.

Wish us luck.
Love,

No comments: