Thursday, April 14, 2011

Conversations

We have the best conversations in our family. In the car while running errands. For instance two conversations today....

Conversation 1:
Duncan: Mom, the enemy cars stole my TNT and slingshot.
[Remember his blowing up the red cars because they are enemies game?]
Me: I guess they get away today.
Duncan (under breath): Not if I can help it.
10 minutes or so later, an ACDC song is playing on the radio (TNT).
Claudia: Mom, is that song called "TNT"?
Me: Um, yes.
Claudia: See Duncan? You can get your TNT from the song.
Duncan: No good. I still don't have a slingshot. Hmmm...Mom, is there a song called "Slingshot"?
Me: Um, not that I'm aware of.

Conversation 2:
Claudia: I'm spinning the "Wheel of Wishes". And I win...gummies!
Duncan: My turn! I spin the "Wheel of Wishes" and I win..."You control everything!"

Yes, my son secretly desires to be the supreme dictator of the world. Why do you ask?



On an entirely separate note, I have come to terms with the fact that I spoil my children. After telling Dan that the kids Easter baskets were finished, I went out on a special shopping trip this evening to buy them each a hex bug spider. Duncan has been waiting for these since we saw them at a planetarium at UNR last month. But of course I wasn't about to pay planetarium prices for one. Every single visit to a Target, or Toys R Us, or a Wal-Mart involved looking for their hex bugs to see if they had the spiders yet. No luck. It has been a very long month for that 5 year old boy.

Today Target finally had them. A whopping FOUR of them. And, uh-oh, one was green. ONE. Duncan about collapsed when I told him we weren't buying them today. Claudia tried to reassure him that maybe, just maybe, they would get one for Easter. All the while slyly looking at me from the corner of her eye. How in the world could I not go back to buy them this evening? The girl is good, I'll give you that. She knows who plays Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc in this house.

Luckily, they still had the green one.

And, yes, I spoil my children.

Love,

No comments: