Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Change of Pace

I do have a life outside of the kids and home. You wouldn't know it from what I blog here, but I thought I'd mention that. :) Anyway, some months ago I was lured into the Facebook phenomena. It has been interesting, keeping such close contact with those I forget to even email regularly. It is also a HUGE time waster. It's a black hole.

But one of the things I've been thinking alot about recently is really *old* acquaintances (you wouldn't believe how many times I had to retype that before I spelled it correctly, the life of a SAHM let me tell you). How do you differentiate for instance amongst people you went to high school with? Do you just accept everyone who was at the high school during the years you were there? Then you end up with hundreds of friends, I know, one of the people I friended has more than 400 friends in his contact list.

But if you don't just accept everyone, how do you make the distinction between those you accept as friends and those you just *don't friend*? I will admit it has been 18 years since I graduated from high school. I think I'm a much more confident person, much more comfortable with who I am and what I do than I was in high school. And yet, there are names and faces I see in Facebook that bring back feelings...feelings that I would rather not even admit to having. Why after all these years and feeling like I'm happy and satisfied with my life would these names bring back such negative feelings? And just as I've changed since high school, I'm sure many of these people have too. They may be perfectly delightful people. And yet...

Yeah. It's an interesting question. Most of these people I never expected to come into any contact with at ALL, ever. I just didn't see any reason why I would come across them. And yet, I see them daily on our mutual friends' status and walls.

What do you think?

Love,
Cindy

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Well, since you asked, I think you shouldn't bother talking to people on Facebook from long ago whom you don't even like. ha ha. Best to live in the present, and enjoy fully the people in your life here and now whom you can love and trust. XXX OOO