Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Okay....and more Duncan Conversations

So after 2 good nights of sleep, I'm feeling pretty good today! Thank goodness.

Here's another Duncan conversation today. And yes, you're gonna get tired of them too. But hey, I spend 3 hours every morning alone with him; that's a big chunk of my day. Setting the stage, we've just dropped Claudia off at preschool and are getting back into the car.

D: Silence! Quiet! SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Now this is strange in and of itself. So I turn off the radio and start driving. After a couple of blocks...
D: Where we going?
Me: Target.
D: We going this way? (pointing left)
Me: Yes we're going this way. That's left. (I start making the left turn when the light turns green.)
D: Oh left! WWWHHHOOOOOAAAAAA! Shew. All done.
(Man, what a back seat driver!)
A couple more blocks of silence. I'm on a local highway going 55 and approaching a light that has turned yellow. So I brake fairly rapidly, more than normal.
D: SSSSCCCCRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCHHHHHH!
(Now I'm thinking who has put him up to this? Is it Dan???)
A couple more blocks of silence.
D: Look mom. There target! That way...that way! Oh what is it? LEFT!!! Turn LEFT HERE!!!!
(As if I'm going to miss the intersection.)
D: Whew.


One other thing of note. Did you know almost 3 year olds are aware that streets have names? Several weeks ago Duncan began asking, "Where are we?" And I tried telling him all sorts of things like "Almost there" or "Almost home" or "Near the grocery store". None of those answers satisfied him. So finally I just told him the street name. That makes him happy. When I make a turn he asks, "Where are we now?" Now this leads to some problems when I take short stretches of little backstreets as shortcuts. Because I don't know the names of those. The first time that happened I said, "I don't know this street name."
D: Oh no! Lost! (followed by hysterical sobbing)

Needless to say I pay more attention these days to street names.


One last comment (really!): I know God has a sense of humor. I hate playdoh with a passion, the texture the smell everything about it. So what does God do? He gives me a "slightly" difficult child who uses playdoh as a calming mechanism. Can you guess what Duncan is playing with right now? Ew.

Love,
Cindy

No comments: